Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Kells withstand Distington pressure to claim win

Kells withstood a strong second-half comeback from Distington to clinch Saturday’s group A clash 16-6.

The game was scoreless until the 24th minute when Steven McGrady latched onto a smart kick to go in at the corner for Kells.

Distington came close on the half hour after great work from man-of-the-match James Motum. He slipped a great ball to Troy Armstrong who just failed to keep his feet in front of the posts.

But it was Kells who scored again on 38 minutes when Grant McLaughlin ran in under the posts after Distington had conceded two penalties. Ross Gainford converted and Kells were 10-0 up at the break.

On 49 minutes, Kells kicked through on the last tackle only for Distington to cough the ball up to McGrady who found Carl Schofield to go under the posts, with Gainford converting.

The game remained tight for the rest of the second period with both sets of forwards battling hard to gain the upperhand and it was Distington who rounded off the scoring on 78 minutes when Ryan Hodgson made a great break from his 25.

On the resulting play, Clayton Sutton found Troy Armstrong who raced under the posts with Sutton converting to leave the final score 16-6 to Kells.

Glasson Rangers kept their hosts Wath Brow Hornets pointless in a 24-0 victory.

The Hornets field no less than six under-18s as they continue to develop and the youngsters tried to batter their way through the visitors’ defence but it held firm. Glasson took a first half lead of 12 points to nil through tries from Thomas Dixon, Greg Rowley and Dan Rooke.

The second half was a much tougher affair with the home side going close on numerous times only to be denied by the Rangers defence.

Eventually the more experienced Glasson took the points with a well deserved win on a young Hornets side that can only get better.

Greg Rowley collected a hat-trick and Thomas Dixon and Brad Dixon both slotted a goal apiece.

There was a tight game at champions Seaton where Cockermouth were the visitors and just four points separated the two sides both at the break and at full time.

In the end Seaton just had the edge 16-10 but they knew they had been in a game, with tries from Miguel Blanco-Charters, Craig Humphreys and Richard George seeing them through. Blanco-Charters also added two goals.

Cockermouth saw tries from Jack Clark and Matthew Skillen, alongside a Clark goal.

In group B, Flimby put up a good fight against a more experienced Maryport side but in the end they went under by 40 points to six.

The opening minutes of the game were scrappy but Maryport opening the scoring with a Scott Akehurst try, converted by Mark Walker.

Flimby came back with a try from former Maryport man Graham Thompson, who also converted to level the scores.

But then tries from Allan Telford and Ellis Nixon, plus two Walker goals made it 18-6 to the visitors at half time.

In the second half, Sam Forrester was the first try scorer for Maryport and he was followed over the whitewash by Akehurst, then a double for Walker, who also added three more goals as Flimby began to tire.

Flimby’s second rower Luke Grima was the pick of the home players with loose forward Mark Walker from Maryport their stand-out man.

Salterbeck just had enough in the tank to overhaul a battling Ellenborough side.

The Maryport-based outfit were leading 22-16 at half time but the Storm came back in the latter staged to just sneak the win.

There were tries across the park for Salterbeck, with Matt Gorley, Chris Boyd, Tyler Heskett, Dan Riddick, Callum Moffat and Grant Southwell touching down, plus two Dan Blaney goals.

For Ellenborough, Jamie Watson ran in a hat-trick while Kevin Hoban and Steven Stoddart also crossed the try line, with the latter adding four goals.

Seaton A could not raise a team to go to Broughton Red Rose in the final group B game.

Into group C and Aspatria continued their successful start to the season with a comprehensive 50-0 demolition of a youthful Egremont outfit.

Full-back Bowes opened the scoring after only five minutes and he was followed over the whitewash by team-mates Richard Holliday, who notched a well taken hat-trick, second row Paul Cuthell, Ryan Little, Tony Herald and man-of-the-match Andrew Lightfoot with a brace.

Bowes added a conversion and Luke Johnson was on target with four goals.

Lowca also had a comprehensive win, 34-0 over Glasson A with a brace of tries from Craig Burns showing the way.

There were further touchdowns from Steven Newell, Dean Haigh, Graeme Lowrey and David Colley. Keith Campbell wrapped up the scoring with five goals.

Grant Finlay had a superb game for Kells A, grabbing a hat-trick in their 36-18 victory over Frizington.

Ryan McGuinness and Reece O’Neill also played well in the clash with the latter also touching down for a try, along with Dean McGarry, Luke Richardson and Lewis White. Ben Milburn added four goals.

Frizington’s tries came through Garry Palmer, Russell Allen and Malcolm Christie, with Dean Armstrong tagging on three goals.


Hot jobs

Evening Mail homepage

Bluebird project


Are there enough affordable homes in the South Lakes?



Show Result